02 03 Ann Mortimer's Painting Blog 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

34

Happy New Year to all! It's been wonderful to have so many opportunities to stare at snow covered landscapes and trees frosted with freshly fallen snow as if sprinkled with icing sugar. The contrasts are amazing in a snow covered scene. Shapes become simpler and easy to read...the monochrome effect helping you to understand the relationships between dark and light. I've not been brave enough to go out there and paint in it but the snow has inspired some painting indoors.
I painted from photos but I had the brilliant scene outside the window to inspire me and to help me check out tones and shadow patterns. Here is one of the paintings and I've included the photo I used for reference so you can see how I changed and edited it to make a better composition.
35 36 37 38