02 03 Ann Mortimer's Painting Blog: Catching up...Latest news and pepper pot seed heads 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Catching up...Latest news and pepper pot seed heads

34

Sunlit poppy seed heads

It's nearly the end of September and a time to take stock and get into a new year of activities after the long summer break.  We've just returned from a welcome week in Spain where the weather was lovely and warm and the September sun sent a warm glow over the landscape and into the town squares where we sat outside cafes and watched the world go by.

But time to move on...

Painting Holiday news first...

My June 2013 painting holiday in Cromford, Derbyshire is fully booked now.  We have 13 painters, some with non painting partners, which, if you include me and my daughter Sophie who is helping me this time, means no more room at the inn!

My September 2013 holiday in Cromford has only three places left, so hurry and book if you want to come!

Introductory Day workshop on 13 October 2013.

I still have places on this taster day course, so if you know someone who wants to have a fun and informative and active introduction to watercolour painting, then please let them know about this.  My motivation for offering this course was partly to get to know people who were new to watercolour so that I could impart my enthusiasm for this fascinating medium.  We had a good time on the taster course in September...four people worked their socks off and surprised themselves, I think, that they could produce work of such quality straight away.
It's to do with using the medium to its best advantage...it's about understanding how watercolour works and letting it flow rather than being good at drawing, etc.

Nottingham Society of Artists

I have recently been accepted as an affiliate member of the NSA.  Which means I can exhibit with this society as well as enjoying such treats as life drawing sessions which I'm really looking forward to.

So much for news.  In the weekly classes we have plunged straight in with our project on seed heads, trying different media such as non permanent pen, watercolour pencils, oil pastels, etc.
I had a some good reference photos of poppy seed heads taken in my garden with sunlight highlighting the architectural shapes of the "pepper pots".
My version is above.  I masked out the sparkles of light where the sun caught the seed heads and the laid in a dark background for maximum contrast.


 Experimenting with different media

35 36 37 38